[darcs-devel] darcs patch: make directory_confusion pass with hashe... (and 3 more)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Dec 2 22:54:57 PST 2006

Hi Eric,

This is a more comprehensive set of changes relating to the hashed
inventories format.  I'm starting to get close to full functionality for
the hashed inventories.  They don't yet support partial repositories of any
sort, don't support no pristine cache, and don't support put, check,
repair, and a few other commands.  But most of those are also easy fixes,
and I'll get to them sooner or later.

It's particularly worth reviewing the equivalence of amNotInRepository with
am_not_in_repo (which is specific to the old format).  I'm pretty sure
these are the same, but the code is reorganized (and cleaner, I think, in
the new version), so bugs could have snuck in, and a second pair of eyes
would be well worth while.

Much of the other code is just worth glancing at, as it's pure refactoring.
At this point, darcs passes the sh tests with hashed inventories enabled
all the way up to the no_pristine.sh test.  So I'd say it's looking pretty
good.

I have to come up with a story on the partial repositories, and it might be
nicest just to make them always fetch the originals, so partial
repositories would only fail as partial repositories if the repo you pulled
from was inaccessible, or was itself partial and pointed to other partial
repositories.  The catch here is that this sort of auto-lazy-downloading of
patches could lead to huge downloads due to "innocent" commands, thus
confusing the users.  But I think I'd prefer to go this way and have the
users have the option of hitting ctrl-C to interrupt than to continue
dealing with bugs in which an operation fails on a partial repository.  On
the third hand, partial repositories in a sense currently act as a check on
the efficiency of our algorithms, and that's definitely a Good Thing.

David

Sat Dec  2 19:55:51 PST 2006  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * make directory_confusion pass with hashed inventories.
  I'm not sure whether there is still a bug in the pending handling here, but
  at least it doesn't crash...

Sat Dec  2 21:50:19 PST 2006  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * Make get_tag test work with hashed inventories.

Sat Dec  2 21:54:52 PST 2006  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * make replace work with hashed inventories.

Sat Dec  2 22:43:55 PST 2006  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * fix more incompatible uses of DarcsRepo.