[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: use System.Process on Windows, and a few more

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sat Dec 9 17:00:37 PST 2006

On 12/9/06, Eric Y. Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 00:33:07 +0100, Tommy Pettersson wrote:
> > Just a thought: debian will have GHC 6.6 in their next release,
> > so we could possibly skip 6.4 support (when we drop 6.2).
>
> That would make life so much simpler.  It would give us a chance to
> clean up some code, simplify the autoconf stuff, etc.  Plus we could
> switch to Data.Bytestring without having to do any wrapper stuff.
>
> Any objections?

I object.  I think it's far too soon to drop 6.4.  I have two machines
which I build my own darcs (for testing unstable) on and both machines
have 6.4 for various reasons.  On reason being that hs-plugins hasn't
been ported to 6.6 yet.

I agree with using Data.ByteString, but I don't think that requires us
to support only 6.6.

I have no objection to drooping 6.2, but it wouldn't hurt to ask on
darcs-user or by taking a poll of haskell-cafe to see if people still
use 6.2.

Some day 6.6 will be the oldest ghc we support and that will be nice
for this issue of fps :)

Jason