[darcs-devel] Add --show-external?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 12 03:55:21 PST 2006

It'd be really useful when debugging problems with darcs' interaction with SSH
for darcs to dump the external commands it is executing.  I have a temporary
putStrLn that I uncomment in order to do this, but it would be better to have a
flag, because then when a user reports some problem with darcs/SSH we can get
them to show us the commands that their darcs is actually running (and perhaps
the exit codes, too).

Should we add a flag --show-external that dumps the external commands?  I
started to do this, but it means propagating [DarcsFlag] all over the place, and
the patch is going to be pretty big.  Does anyone object to this?  In GHC when
we have to propagate a flag everywhere we sometimes resort to a top-level
unsafePerformIO instead (since the flag is always constant for a given run of
darcs, this isn't so bad).  Thoughts?

Cheers,
	Simon