[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Use System.Process on Windows (and 3 more)

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 14:46:36 PST 2006

These patches make Simon Marlow's runProcess stuff compile under GHC
6.4.2.  Note that I haven't tested them very thoroughly.  Just did a
darcs record with long comments using both a 6.4.2 and 6.6 build.  This
doesn't tell us very much, except that darcs finds notepad.

Also, I would now welcome a patch for the Unix stuff which also uses
System.runProcess.  The new Debian with ghc 6.6 is coming shortly.
Besides, we might as well ditch 6.2.2 support for Unix now that we're
doing the same for Windows.  I guess this would mean our basic criteria
for deciding what GHC to support would be the more conservative of:
- what the latest released Debian supports (6.6)
- the second-to-last major GHC release (6.4.x in this case)

Wed Nov 29 17:07:10 CET 2006  Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>
  * Use System.Process on Windows

  This was an attempt to address "[issue218] Patch bundle failed hash",
  but unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem.  Still, System.Process
  is a better way to invoke external commands these days.

  For now, the new code only replaces the Windows version of exec.  This
  means that GHC 6.4 will be required to build darcs on Windows.  Better
  would be to add a configure test, but I ran out of time here.

Mon Dec 25 21:18:30 CET 2006  Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>
  * Add Workaround.bracketOnError (introduced in GHC 6.6).

  This is to compensate for the missing Control.Exception.bracketOnError
  in GHC 6.4.2

Mon Dec 25 22:24:23 CET 2006  Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>
  * Fix conflicts and compile errors (Exec runProcess stuff).

  Side A:
    Simon Marlow: Use System.Process on Windows

  Side B:
    Edwin Thomson : Make Exec.lhs not import unneeded Control.Exception functions
      when compiling on Windows.
    Magnus Jonsson : Added rigorous error checking in exec

  Compile errors in question were just import-related issues.

Mon Dec 25 22:24:44 CET 2006  Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>
  * Import bracketOnError from Workaound instead of Control.Exception.

  bracketOnError was introduced in GHC 6.6, whereas we want to support 6.4.1 and
  higher.