[darcs-devel] [issue127] proposal: rename mv to move, rename remove to unadd

Zooko bugs at darcs.net
Tue Feb 7 08:57:57 PST 2006

New submission from Zooko <zooko at zooko.com>:

Two problems:

1.  Many users think that they need to use "darcs remove" to remove a file,
much as one is required to use "svn delete/rm/remove" in Subversion.  For
example, see this thread:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.darcs.user/9403

For another example, as I was considering submitting this bug report I noticed
the same kind of thing happening in an exchange on the #darcs IRC channel.  A
new user was confused as he was trying to use "darcs remove" to get rid of a
file.

2.  People frequently complain that they tried "darcs move" and it didn't work,
since it is named "darcs mv".  "darcs mv" is the only darcs command which is a
unix-style abbreviation rather than an English phrase.

These two problems are linked because the express reason why "darcs mv" is
namedly inconsistently with the other commands is to differentiate it from the
similar-named but subtly different "darcs remove".

So the proposal is to name these commands "darcs unadd" since it is parallel to
the other "darcs un*" command and it describes its behavior better (et isn't
like "svn remove") -- and "darcs move" since it is consistent with the other
namings.

Regards,

Zooko

nosy: droundy, tommy, zooko
status: unread
title: proposal: rename mv to move, rename remove to unadd