[darcs-devel] Re: Patch "plugins"

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:52:36 PST 2006

Hello,

On 16 févr. 06, at 13:37, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
> 	Would there have been a better forum for me to send this message?
> Thanks!

How about darcs-users for a wider audience?  Maybe stuff like this is
worth noting on the wiki, with a general page of proposals on types of
patches?  The way I figure, if something generates a lot of discussion,
it gets to be hard to follow.  Having it all in condensed into a single
document helps.

>> A more immediate proposal, but definitely more radical, would be to
>> start coding up the theory of patch framework in Coq, which supports
>> Haskell code extraction.

Wow, that'd be really neat.  I have a friend who says the exact same
thing, plus something to the effect of darcs needing more computer
scientists to be proving more patch-theory properties.  Is this
something actionable for you?

>> Anyway, I would be curious to hear what people think about this idea,
>> because this is something I'd really like to see in version control
>> system.

There's a good handful of people wishing for the ability to recode
files (character encodings, line endings, trailing whitespace) in a
'meaningful' way, much like you'd do darcs replace instead of dumbly
moving hunks around.  Do you think this thread is relevant?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.darcs.user/9418

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.