[darcs-devel] darcs patch: really suppress output in win32 exec

Will will at glozer.net
Mon Jan 9 21:58:19 PST 2006

Hi,

Will <will at glozer.net> writes:

> Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> writes:
>
>>> +exec c args "/dev/null" "/dev/null" =
>>> +  system $ c++" "++careful_unwords args++" > NUL 2>&1"
>>
>> I'm a little confused by this patch, but I'm by no means familiar with
>> Windows, so bear with me if I speak nonsense.
>>
>> I didn't realise that Windows shells support the ``>&'' notation.  Do
>> you know whether all versions do?  Can you confirm whether this breaks
>> Windows 2000 and Windows 9x?  If it does, do we care?
>
> NT-based versions of Windows should support '>&', which includes
> Windows 2000.  I would guess that it doesn't work under Win9x, but
> have no way to test.

Sorry for the long delay, but I've finally tried this redirection syntax
in Windows 98.  The redirection doesn't work and a file named "1" ends up
in the CWD, but the command does execute successfully.  I would still like
to see this patch applied because all of the SSH output is very annoying.

Thanks,
Will