[darcs-devel] [issue90] darcs commands struggle with less-common filenames

Jonathon Mah bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jan 10 05:19:19 PST 2006

New submission from Jonathon Mah <me at JonathonMah.com>:

I just discovered that 'darcs mv' does _not_ play nice with filenames containg a
plus sign (+); it consistently states "darcs failed:  There is no file or dir
named my+file.h in the repository." The whatsnew command worked fine on it,
though, and I was able to get it into the repository with no issues (presumably
with 'record -l'; I don't remember now).

This is a major problem -- if darcs refuses to work with some files, it is
useless. The '+' notation is commonly used in the filenames of Objective-C
categories. Similar issues also exist, such as issue 65 relating to 'annotate'
(submitted by me).

It has been stated many times on the mailing lists that darcs treats filenames
as byte sequences (and not, say, UTF-8). If this is the case, every command
should treat every filename equally. Or at least the same filename equally.

As a workaround, I edited the pending file myself with no ill effects (darcs
says it's consistent).

nosy: droundy, jonathon, tommy
priority: urgent
status: unread
title: darcs commands struggle with less-common filenames