[darcs-devel] build scripts and haddock documentation

Jason Dagit dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Tue Jan 10 21:54:38 PST 2006

Hello,

I wanted to create some haddock style documentation in the darcs
source code since a lot of the code has little or no comments
explaining it.  Most of the comments seem to be geared toward the
user manual and not for developers who are reading the code.

I'll be happy to add haddock tags to the source as I go, but I need
help reworking the build scripts to include support for haddock.  I
think that configure should probably check for haddock and only try
to build the haddock documentation if haddock is available.  I guess
this would be in the makefile as the same target as the current darcs
manual.

I'm new to haddock and the manual says that .lhs files need to be
preprocessed before they are sent to haddock:
http://www.haskell.org/haddock/haddock-html-0.7/invoking.html#cpp

I don't understand the darcs build system (I don't know the first
thing about autoconf, automake, configure and all that jazz).  Could
someone get me started on this by giving me an overview of what I
need to change to hack haddock support into the build scripts?
Something like, "go into file X and add a line like this..."  Or
maybe just point me at TFM to R and answer my subsequent questions :)

Thanks,
Jason