[darcs-devel] darcs patch: fixes for testsuite

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Jan 13 10:07:04 PST 2006

Jason,

I like your last few changes very much -- but I'm not going to apply
them with the log messages you provided.

Log messages are important -- they are the only part most people see
when they track Darcs development.  Hence, I'd like to insist that you
follow the standard style.

>  * fix for issue79

This is the only part that will appear in some UIs (notably web
interfaces).  It should be short, to the point, and understandable by
itself.  ``fixes for testsuite'' is okay, ``fix for issue79'' and
``Issue14 addendum'' are not.

(Although even in the former case, I'd brefer ``fix test for mv'' or
something suitably more explicit.)

>  This patch makes darcs whatsnew --look-for-adds by default stop computing the patch for a file when it realizes the file is new.  This is okay because the command in question defaults to summary mode.

This line is too long.  Please limit your log messages to 75 charac-
ters per line or so.

>  Code was added/changed in these commands:
>    * amend-record
>    * apply
>    * diff
>    * pull
>    * record
>    * resolve

This enumeration takes up precious vertical space when reviewing
patches with ``darcs changes''.  It's better rewritten as

>  Code was added/changed in amend-record, apply, diff, pull, record and
>  resolve.

or even omitted entirely, as ``darcs changes -s'' gives this
information automatically.

Would you be so kind as to resubmit your last 3 patches with proper
log messages?

Thanks,

                                        Juliusz