[darcs-devel] Repository.writePatch (issue80)

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Jan 15 05:20:22 PST 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 07:04:53PM -0800, Jason Dagit wrote:

> I think the numbers speak for themselves.

I think they are saying different things to me and you.

If things have regressed then the regression should be fixed, not
consolidated by forcing the patch to remain in memory.

You can find some of the discussion of the optimisation work from before
in the archives, incidentally, e.g. around:

http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-devel/2005-April/001872.html
http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-devel/2005-April/001938.html

(I think all my earlier testing was with lots of small files rather than
a single large one, so it's possible someone just needs to look at the
large file case. I can't think of any reason why that would be worse
OTTOMH, though, unless the patch parsing is being strict (which, if it
is the case, should again be fixed by the new patch format)).

Thanks
Ian