[darcs-devel] Repository.writePatch (issue80)

Jason Dagit dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Sun Jan 15 11:24:08 PST 2006

On Jan 15, 2006, at 7:34 AM, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:

> On Sunday 15 January 2006 05:04, Jason Dagit wrote:
>
>> Peak RES (as measured by top)
>> orig: 940MB
>> no-reread: 950MB
>>
>> Peak VIRT (as measured by top)
>> orig: 1756MB
>> no-reread: 1289MB
>>
>> When I realized that orig had consumed more time and space than no-
>> reread I killed it so I'm not sure where it would have peaked or how
>> much time it would have taken to reach that peak.
>
> Err, according to your numbers, Peak RSS was larger for no-reread,
> so orig did
> _not_ consume greater max memory up to that point (I'm not claiming
> that it
> wouldn't). Peak VIRT is generally not indicative of actual memory
> usage.

Well, if you want to ignore VIRT, then the two versions come with in
10megs of each other out of almost 1GB, and yet orig was still
running after 5 hours.  I don't see how that can be preferred.  I
would also imagine the reason both versions don't use more RSS is
because I only have 1GB of ram.

Thanks,
Jason