[darcs-devel] Darcs crashes on GHC repository

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 3 06:33:06 PDT 2006

[ posting on behalf of simonpj at microsoft.com, who tried to post the
message earlier but it doesn't seem to have shown up, so here it is,
just in case it got swallowed.  Also Simon submitted bugs to
bugs at darcs.net, which appear to have been lost, so I created tickets
manually. ]

Dear Darcs developers

As you know, we switched GHC to Darcs some while ago, which makes Darcs
absolutely mission-critical to GHC.  But I've encountered two serious
Darcs crashes recently (two different internal consistency errors not
seg-faults).  I reported the first to bugs at darcs.net, but had no
response.  I managed to work around it by abandoning that repository
altogether, and manually applying patches to a fresh copy.  But it was
scary.

The second one is only today; I've just sent off a bug report to the
address above.  I would really appreciate advice about how to work
around it.

The situation (in both cases) couldn't be simpler. I'm working on a
variant of GHC.  I have accumulated a bunch of patches in my variant
repository.  I wanted to pull patches from the main repository, but
Darcs crashed.  'darcs check' reports that the repository is consistent.

I'd *really* appreciate some help with this.  Please.  Both are 100%
reproducible, and are 100% show-stoppers.   Thanks!

Simon