[darcs-devel] Darcs crashes on GHC repository

Anders Höckersten anders at hockersten.se
Mon Jul 3 11:10:03 PDT 2006

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:45:53 +0200, Patrick McFarland <diablod3 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Monday 03 July 2006 12:17, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> >
>> > Look, no offense, but how do we know this isn't some sort of
>> > Microsoft war against open source?
>> >
>> > "Oh, look, theres a bunch of bad bugs in Darcs, and it stops software
>> > development! Quick! Switch to a Microsoft solution, and all will be
>> > well!"
>> >
>> > Microsoft has done that before, how do we know you're not doing this
>> > now?
>>
>> Are you serious??!
>
> Yes, and this isn't a troll either. I'm sorry, but I don't trust people
> with
> microsoft email addresses, and a lot of people in the foss community
> don't.
>
> Do I have to go get the mutating penguin troll ad Microsoft put out a few
> years back?

Patrick, no offense, but before you start throwing paranoid accusations at
Microsoft employees on a public mailing list, why don't you check out what
those people actually work with? Simon Peyton-Jones and Simon Marlow are
well-publicised researchers working for Microsoft Research, and one of
their main accomplishments just so happens to be GHC, by far the most
popular Haskell compiler. GHC is most likely the compiler used to compile
the version of Darcs you are using, and it also happens to be free of
charge and open source (under a BSD-style license).

Frankly, I think Simon Peyton-Jones and Simon Marlow deserve a lot more
respect than you have treated them with, and I hope you are man enough to
admit your mistakes and apologise to them.

Sincerely,
Anders Höckersten