[darcs-devel] Re: [darcs-conflicts] identical patches (was: bit more of a summaryof new conflict-handling ideas)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Jul 14 03:49:50 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 09:08:26PM +0100, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, David Roundy wrote:
>
> >The one person who has darcs warn him about changes which are members
> >of more than one patch will notice and push a fix (in the relatively
> >rare case that it is necesary) to everyone else, just like any other
> >bug in the code.
>
> Ah, yes, ok.
>
> The only problem I can see is where it's often ok to have identical
> patches be merged, but there are a few cases where they shouldn't
> be. How does the user hide the warnings about the ok cases so that
> the problematic cases get noticed?

Well, I don't think the warning will be necesary, or will be often
triggered in cases where it isn't either obvious what happened (two
patches saying "resolve conflict"), or situations that are worth
looking at carefully in any case.

And hopefully one will also review the code in any case.  And most
often the places in the code where you have identical patches that
would cause trouble will be small and obvious, e.g. patches like

-int number_input_options = 136;
+int number_input_options = 137;

and my experience (and I've experienced the above) things like this
are sufficiently nightmarish (even without merging) that you keep a
close eye on them, and know what to look for.