[darcs-devel] trying to exec() darcs on a webserver using PHP

James Van Lommel jamesvl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 12:20:51 PDT 2006

I'm curious if anyone has tried using the PHP exec() function to call darcs
on a web server.

I'm trying it on a W2k3 box (IIS6, PHP5) and some commands work okay ('darcs
add', 'darcs whatsnew') but others don't ('darcs record').

I'm using command line options so that darcs does not offer any interactive
prompts:

darcs  record -v --repodir ./repos --patch-name "Test of Darcs commit
3" --all --skip-long-comment --author "James Van Lommel"
test.csv

When I call it from PHP, I get:

Recording changes in "test.csv":

About to get the unrecorded changes.
diffing dir...
I've gotten unrecorded.
Writing the patch file...
Applying to current...

and it returns a "1".
Yet if I run the exact same command from the command prompt, I get:

Recording changes in "test.csv":

About to get the unrecorded changes.
diffing dir...
I've gotten unrecorded.
Writing the patch file...
Applying to current...
Syncing timestamps...
Finished recording patch 'Test of Darcs commit 3'

Any ideas why the PHP exec() call would quit right before the "syncing
timestamps" part?  Any help is appreciated...