[darcs-devel] FOSDEM summary

Grant Husbands darcsdevel at grant.x43.net
Wed Mar 1 03:27:01 PST 2006

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> You should most certainly provide a publicly readable repository.
> (I'm actually surprised to hear there isn't one yet.)

I think there's been a misunderstanding. We provided the darcs
repository (as an archive) and all source code along with TortoiseDarcs,
at the locations provided in the original email; we just didn't have the
time to properly evaluate setting up a world-visible darcs server, which
involves a security evaluation, for us.

We've now released a newer version (again, including source and _darcs
folder) - see the separate announcement email (on darcs-users) for more
details.

> With Darcs, all you need is a web server with ssh and darcs installed;
> there's nothing preventing you from using your favourite web hoster
> (or your not-so-favourite one -- such as SourceForge).

I didn't know SourceForge allowed installation of or had Darcs. That
would make them a reasonable candidate.

> I'm not sure I'm following what you mean.  What is it that you don't
> want to be doing yourself?

Essentially, providing bandwidth (which we don't have enough of) and
hardware and setting up a secure darcs server, which seems to involve at
least some effort around restricted shells and similar.

> Whether the repo ends up being on darcs.net or on a different host, I
> doubt any of the Darcs developers will be willing to administer it for
> you.

We're quite willing to maintain an active role in patch management and
similar, if that's what people want - I just wanted to give 'the
community' the opportunity to take creative control of the project, as
we're doing this on company time and can't guarantee a timely response
for such non-commercial activities.

> If it's entirely Free software, I'd try one of
[snip]
> I've only used sf.net, and it's usable, so I have no opinions on the
> others.

Fair point - we'll upload the installer and a source snapshot to sf.net,
once we have access (we're filling in the SourceForge 'new project'
form, as we speak). Until then, the new versions are still being
provided on our (low bandwidth) server, but may be temporarily disabled
if they cause significant bandwidth issues.

Regards,
Grant.