[darcs-devel] [issue339] Another impenetrable error (get_extra)

simonpj bugs at darcs.net
Thu Nov 9 05:59:07 PST 2006

New submission from simonpj <simonpj at microsoft.com>:

Gentle Darcsers

I have Darcs crash in get_extra.  Darcs version is 1.07, though I don't think this is version specific.

Here's the situation.

* HEAD is the main GHC repository on darcs.haskell.org
* Repo A is a local repository, gotten from HEAD a few weeks ago with --partial
* Repo B is a local repository, gotten from HEAD today, with --partial

I want to pull patches from A to B.  So I sit in B and type
        darcs pull A

Result = crash (see below), even before it starts asking which patches you want to pull.
The message says "perhaps it's a partial repository", which both of them are.  But it gives no suggestions about what to do about it!

Question: should this "just work", or is there a reason it cannot work?
Question: if this happens what do I do?

I can think of two possible causes
- There is a patch in HEAD (and hence in B) which is not in A, because it was added after A was pulled
- The HEAD might have been checkpointed between pulling A and pulling B, so B may not have all
        the HEAD patches that A does (but presumably B still has a list of their names)

Simon

PS: is there a way to stop this ssh stuff coming out all the time?

$ darcs pull ../ghc-hacking
Usage: ssh [options] host [command]
  -l user     Log in using this user name.
  -n          Redirect input from /dev/null.
  -A          Enable authentication agent forwarding.
  -a          Disable authentication agent forwarding.
  -X          Enable X11 connection forwarding.
  -x          Disable X11 connection forwarding.
  -i file     Identity for public key authentication (default: ~/.ssh/identity)
  -t          Tty; allocate a tty even if command is given.
  -T          Do not allocate a tty.
  -v          Verbose; display verbose debugging messages.
              Multiple -v increases verbosity.
  -V          Display version number only.
  -P          Don't allocate a privileged port.
  -q          Quiet; don't display any warning messages.
  -f          Fork into background after authentication.
  -e char     Set escape character; ``none'' = disable (default: ~).
  -c cipher   Select encryption algorithm: ``3des'', ``blowfish''
  -m macs     Specify MAC algorithms for protocol version 2.
  -p port     Connect to this port.  Server must be on the same port.
  -L listen-port:host:port   Forward local port to remote address
  -R listen-port:host:port   Forward remote port to local address
              These cause ssh to listen for connections on a port, and
              forward them to the other side by connecting to host:port.
  -C          Enable compression.
  -N          Do not execute a shell or command.
  -g          Allow remote hosts to connect to forwarded ports.
  -1          Force protocol version 1.
  -2          Force protocol version 2.
  -4          Use IPv4 only.
  -6          Use IPv6 only.
  -o 'option' Process the option as if it was read from a configuration file.
  -s          Invoke command (mandatory) as SSH2 subsystem.
darcs.exe: failed to read patch in get_extra:
Sat Oct 21 04:58:29 GMT Daylight Time 2006  Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au>
  * Fix parent position in RnNames.nubAvails
  - `RnNames.nubAvails', which amalgamates AvailInfo items that belong to the
    same parent, needs to be careful that the parent name occurs first if it is
    in the list of subnames at all.  (Otherwise, we can get funny export items
    in ifaces.)
  - I discovered this while debugging family import/exports, but I am pretty
    sure the bug would also have shown up without using families under the
    right circumstances.
Perhaps this is a 'partial' repository?

nosy: EricKow, droundy, igloo, simonmar, simonpj, t-kirstc, tommy
status: unread
title: Another impenetrable error (get_extra)