[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Extra boring patterns.

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Nov 15 09:38:07 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 06:31:18PM +0100, Eric Y. Kow wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 18:44:47 +0000, Grant Husbands wrote:
> > I think it's fairly common practise for Windows repos to contain
> > binaries for the uncommon tools/dlls that are required and I can't
> > think that any other platform is particularly interested in *.exe
> > files, so I'd quite like to remove exe from the list, here. Would
> > anyone mind if I submitted a followup patch (to the followup) to
> > remove it?
>
> Sounds ok to me.  Besides, it's not like we have boring patterns to
> exclude the binaries people build on non-Windows anyway.  This is just
> an issue of default boringness, for which it is better to err on the
> side of things appearing more interesting than they really are.

I personally lean towards keeping .exe files as boring by default.  It's
relatively easy to fix, and when people get large binary files accidentally
included in their repository, it can cause serious problems (in terms of
memory use and size of repository).
Deptartment of Physics
Oregon State University