[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: Extra boring patterns.

Grant Husbands darcsdevel at grant.x43.net
Thu Nov 16 16:31:22 PST 2006

Dave Love wrote:
> [I'm not subscribed to the list, but I happened to look at it on
> gmane.  People reporting bugs or sending patches may not be subscribed
> to the bug list, so it's useful to copy them.]

My apologies. I'll reply to all, in future.

> No, it just rearranges the patterns for commentary's sake.

I believe we're talking about different patches. There was a patch on
the 9th called "Extra boring patterns." that adds a number of boring
patterns, apparently including .exe files. On the 13th, there was a
followup called "Annotate various boring patterns." that rearranges and
annotates them.

The one I was replying to was the original addition.

> I'd be surprised if the normal case is to put program binaries under
> revision control.

To clarify, I'm not advocating the addition of build outputs to the
repository in which they're created. I'm advocating the addition of
required executables and libraries for running or building a project, in
at least some circumstances.

I've been mistaking personal experience for the normal case, though -
repositories containing code written in one language using uncommon
libraries/executables written in another are probably rare. However,
TortoiseDarcs and many of the repositories at my workplace are such. The
TortoiseDarcs repo includes Darcs but not the Darcs source; this makes
it easier to work with TortoiseDarcs and maintains the capacity for
quickly reproducing older versions.

Regards,
Grant Husbands.