[darcs-devel] [issue355] Push A to B fails, pull B to A works

Simon Marlow bugs at darcs.net
Mon Nov 20 06:58:58 PST 2006

New submission from Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>:

I have a case where pushing a patch from repo A to repo B fails, but pulling in the other direction succeeds.  Igloo tells me this is definitely a bug.

Repo B (ghc-par-gc) is partial, repo A (ghc-head-tmp) is not:

---------------------
~/darcs/ghc-head-tmp > darcs push ../ghc-par-gc -p "whitespace"
Pushing to "../ghc-par-gc"...

Fri Nov 10 18:36:33 GMT 2006  Samuel Bronson <naesten at gmail.com>
  * Zap stray whitespace in lhs formatting
Shall I push this patch? (1/?)  [ynWvpxqadjkc], or ? for help: n

Mon Nov 20 14:25:50 GMT 2006  Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>
  * whitespace
Shall I push this patch? (2/?)  [ynWvpxqadjkc], or ? for help: y
darcs: Cannot apply this patch bundle, this is a "--partial repository
We don't have the following patch:
Wed Sep 20 21:48:05 BST 2006  Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au>
  * Correct substitution into theta types (after merge)

~/darcs/ghc-head-tmp > cd ../ghc-par-gc
~/darcs/ghc-par-gc > darcs pull ../ghc-head-tmp -p "whitespace"
Pulling from "../ghc-head-tmp"...

Fri Nov 10 18:36:33 GMT 2006  Samuel Bronson <naesten at gmail.com>
  * Zap stray whitespace in lhs formatting
Shall I pull this patch? (1/?)  [ynWvpxqadjkc], or ? for help: n

Mon Nov 20 14:25:50 GMT 2006  Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>
  * whitespace
Shall I pull this patch? (2/?)  [ynWvpxqadjkc], or ? for help: y
Finished pulling and applying.
---------------------

I have saved the exact state of the repos here:

  http://haskell.org/~simonmar/darcs-bug-report/ghc-par-gc.tar.gz
  http://haskell.org/~simonmar/darcs-bug-report/ghc-head-tmp.tar.gz

(30M & 50M respectively)

I have been seeing odd things happen when transferring patches between partial repositories in GHC for a while, so it's nice to nail down a case that is definitely a bug.  With any luck this might help pinpoint the problem.

Cheers,
        Simon

nosy: EricKow, droundy, igloo, simonmar, simonpj, tommy
status: unread
title: Push A to B fails, pull B to A works