[darcs-devel] Greetings and some questions

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Oct 2 10:39:36 PDT 2006

On 10/2/06, Dino Morelli <dino at ui3.info> wrote:
> Also, I see a lot of underscore-style functions like
> get_long_darcs_opt_string. Is there a naming preference for this project?

I can only speak for myself, but I'd say no underscores.  I prefer
camel case for Haskell code.  Others?

> Working on implementation, I needed to import to get this function for
> DarcsArguments:
>
>     import DarcsCommands ( get_long_option )
>

> And I'm getting an error:
>
>     Module imports form a cycle for modules:

Yes, I've started getting this in some cases too.  There are a couple
ways to solve it and all of them are usually orthogonal to what you're
really doing (meaning it's slightly annoying).  One trick is to use
hs-boot files as per the GHC manual.  Doing this with our current make
file framework is a pain.  The other common solution is to adjust the
modules so that you can import things in a way that doesn't cause a
cycle.  A cycle basically means at least two modules directly depend
on each other.

> Not sure what to do about it.

In general it's a pain.  I haven't looked at your case in depth and
I'm not sure if I'll find time in the immediate future to do so.
Maybe someone else will have some advice.

Jason