[darcs-devel] Greetings and some questions

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Mon Oct 2 11:01:34 PDT 2006

Hi Dino,

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 11:19:00AM -0400, Dino Morelli wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Eric Y. Kow wrote:
>
> >>I was thinking about it, and if nobody thinks it's too nitpicky, it would
> >>be somewhat better if the string literal "--case-ok" wasn't used here
> >>(and also in Add.lhs)  I was tinkering with some code as shown below to
> >>extract the long option name programmatically.
> >
> >Good thought.  Perhaps you could make a function like
> > getLongDarcsOption :: DarcsOption -> String
> > -- I am horrible with function names; pick something reasonable
> >
> >So that you can just say (getLongDarcsOption allow_caseonly).
> >
> >This has the added benefit of avoiding stuff like head.

I don't agree with Eric on this. Option names will not change.
And when they do, we're sure to get bug reports from users if we
forget to update the documentation. And when we don't, darcs is
doing fine anyway. (Ok, the last one is bad attitude, but it
sounds smart.) Anyway, we don't need an abstraction layer for
the spelling of option names, do we really?

Sorry to be against. I won't fight it vividly if Eric still
likes it.