[darcs-devel] [issue301] darcs get '.' (i.e. in an existing, non-darcs directory)

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sat Oct 14 09:33:48 PDT 2006

New submission from Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com>:

Import of RT #174 - The posibility to issue a "get" in an existing folder/directory

<madiuq at gmail.com> 2005-01-13
-----------------------------
Today I tried:

> [gmlk at alicia:~/src/darcs](1): darcs get http://www.abridgegame.org/repos/darcs .

which resulted in:

> darcs failed: Directory or file named '.' already exists.

----

The general syntax is: darcs get url [directory]

I noticed that if "directory" already exists, and is not '.', darcs will create
a "directory_0", this is not what I expected and makes darcs less then useful
for me.

My preference would be that darcs would check in directory to see if a "_darcs"
directory is already pressent, if true it should fail. If there is no "_darcs"
directory present, it should proceed and use the folder; maybe asking for
permission before proceeding to overwrite the existing files.

Maybe (I'm not sure if this should be done) it would be prudent to also scan
upward to see if this directory isn't part of an repository already (that is
that it is really added to some higher repository) and if true fail in this
case as well. If no repository contains this directory one may assume it will
be save to use it. (One reason not to do this upward scan, is because no damage
can be done anyway and who knows why someone would want to do this one
day...)

nosy: EricKow, droundy, tommy
priority: wishlist
status: unread
title: darcs get '.' (i.e. in an existing, non-darcs directory)
topic: FromRequestTracker