[darcs-devel] [issue259] darcs refuses to ignore my boring files!

Gastón Kleiman bugs at darcs.net
Tue Sep 5 12:46:43 PDT 2006

New submission from =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gast=F3n_Kleiman?= <gaston.kleiman at gmail.com>:

While creating a new repository with "darcs init; darcs record -l", I realized
that I wanted darcs to handle some files as boring. So I answered that I didn't
want to record the addfiles, and added the corresponding regexps to
_darcs/pref/boring.

Then I ran: "darcs what -l" to see if darcs now treated the files as boring,
but it still wanted to add them.

I've managed to reproduce the bug with the following test case:

--------------

$ mkdir test
$ cd test
$ mkdir dir
$ touch dir/foo
$ touch dir/bar
$ darcs --version
1.0.8 (release)
$ darcs init
$ darcs record -l

Darcs needs to know what name (conventionally an email address) to use as the
patch author, e.g. 'Fred Bloggs <fred at bloggs.invalid>'.  If you provide one
now it will be stored in the file '_darcs/prefs/author' and used as a default
in the future.  To change your preferred author address, simply delete or edit
this file.

What is your email address? foo at bar.com
adddir ./dir
Shall I record this change? (1/?)  [ynWsfqadjkc], or ? for help: y
addfile ./dir/bar
Shall I record this change? (2/?)  [ynWsfqadjkc], or ? for help: y
addfile ./dir/foo
Shall I record this change? (3/?)  [ynWsfqadjkc], or ? for help: n
What is the patch name? test
Do you want to add a long comment? [yn]n
Finished recording patch 'test'

$ echo ".*foo$" >>_darcs/prefs/boring
$ darcs what -l
A ./dir/foo
$

--------------

It doesn't happen with one single file, for example:

$ touch test; darcs rec -l (n); echo 'test$' >> _darcs/prefs/boring; darcs what -l
No changes!
$

Deleting _darcs/patches/pending after having done 'darcs record -l', or adding
the regexps to the boring file before "darcs record -l" fixes the problem.

Thanks,

Gastón Kleiman

nosy: droundy, gaston.kleiman, tommy
status: unread
title: darcs refuses to ignore my boring files!