[darcs-devel] New ignore and unignore commands

Zachary P. Landau kapheine at divineinvasion.net
Fri Sep 15 06:12:16 PDT 2006

[snip]

> The boring and excluded files have subtly different semantics.  Both
> are useful, but I'm not sure that the difference is important enough
> to warrant two distinct notions.

[snip]

> Exclude clearly has the right semantics for an ephemeral setting (a
> command line option, as opposed to a prefs file).
>
> So the distinction is useful, but is it useful enough to be included
> in Darcs, and hence impose an additional conceptual burden on all new
> users?  I don't have a strong opinion (I'd like David to make a call),
> but it's certinly not useful enough to take up two good command names
> such as ``darcs ignore'' and ``unignore''.

Okay, I get it now.  Thanks Juliusz.  And I can see its use.  I don't
have a strong opinion either, but I think it might be useful enough to
include it.  I'm much less weary of adding -- options over darcs
commands, especially ones that are somewhat common like --exclude is.

I do get that there is a bit more of a conceptual burden, especially
considering that you had to explain on the concept to me :P  But on the
other side, new users can feel free to ignore it until they have grasped
the rest of darcs.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone with a strong opinion about it will
come along.

--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine at divineinvasion.net>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0xC9F82052 | http://divineinvasion.net/kapheine.asc