[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Fix Windows stderr non-redirection. (and 2 more)

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Fri Sep 15 18:36:43 PDT 2006

Here are the reworked patches for new exec interface.

Mon Sep 11 12:29:33 CEST 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
  * rewrite Exec.lhs, new exec interface with Redirects
  Make the code structure a bit simpler and easier to understand.
  Only one (fancy) version of exec.

Fri Sep 15 18:44:46 CEST 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
  * fix typo

This is the old one, but with a fix for the typo.

I've done the calls to the new exec properly this time. The
first attempt in the old patch was hasty work.

Sat Sep 16 00:22:26 CEST 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
  * update calls to exec and exec_fancy to new interface

This patch should change nothing of darcs behavior regarding
executing external commands. It's a plain translation to the new
interface.

Sat Sep 16 00:26:54 CEST 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
  * reindent some long lines

Sat Sep 16 00:29:23 CEST 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
  * simplify helper function stupidexec in copyRemoteCmd

These two are changes that don't have anything to do with the
new exec functionality.

Sat Sep 16 02:44:07 CEST 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
  * redirect errors to stderr where exec is checked and darcs fails
  In these situations the user will get both the error message from the
  failing external command and a message from darcs about what action it
  could not perform.

Sat Sep 16 02:56:51 CEST 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
  * redirect errors to stderr where exec output is used
  Error messages would destroy the result if they ended up in the output.
  If the external command fails, darcs should (but does not always) fail.

Sat Sep 16 03:01:16 CEST 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
  * redirect errors to null where exec output is used but failure is not fatal
  Error messages in the output would destroy the result, but if the command
  fails some other action is taken, so error messages shall not be displayed
  to the user.

I'm pretty confident these three does the right thing. (This
does not mean I'm confident I haven't introduced any new bugs.)

Sat Sep 16 03:06:45 CEST 2006  Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>
  * show error messages when starting and stoping the ssh control master

I don't know if this last patch is a good or a bad idea.