[darcs-devel] patches accepted 2006-09-11

Edwin Thomson edwin.thomson at businesswebsoftware.com
Thu Sep 21 13:20:22 PDT 2006

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

 >> There's this one, for adding an option to diff for making it apply
 >> patches to a slurpy instead of the filesystem.
 >

 > What are the tradeoffs?  Which should be the default?

Advantages: Much faster for patches near the top of a repo, a bit faster
for patches further down.

Disadvantages: Uses more memory (about 50% more for examining a patch
about halfway down the darcs repo). Also, when I was checking the above,
it turns out there's a bug in it somewhere (looking at the intial import
patch (and probably others) gives "Error moving ./Autoconf.lhs.in to
./Autoconf.lhs" when --store-in-memory is used) which I'll look into
when I'm not so busy.  So for now, don't apply it.

Edwin