[darcs-devel] [issue271] Minor documentation fixes

era eriksson bugs at darcs.net
Sun Sep 24 08:26:38 PDT 2006

New submission from era eriksson <era+darcs at iki.fi>:

I'm completely new to darcs, so please have patience ...

I discovered some typos and other minor problems in the documentation,
and tried to fix those things I was able to. I am attaching a bundle
of patches for the issues I think I managed to correct; the remainder
of this bug is more of a TODO list.

I understand splitting the patch into multiple subpatches might
improve my rank in the commits league (-: so feel free to coalesce
this into a single patch before committing.

  - DarcsCommands.lhs: footnote #3 is defined but never displayed in
    the PostScript verion (it's there in bigpage.html). Anyway,
    perhaps the table should be rehashed to make the footnotes
    unnecessary? (Divide further into "affects remote" vs "affects
    local", etc?)

  - .muttrc examples are different in Apply.lhs, best_practices.tex,
    and darcs.lhs (but maybe this is only for the better -- diversity
    and all that)

  - In command option listings, [DEFAULT] markings could be clearer
    and more consistent. For example, most switches are two-way, and
    it's obvious that the [DEFAULT] is the default; in many places,
    it's not explicitly marked, but it's also perhaps not necessary
    (like in 'darcs whatsnew', there is no indication whether
    --look-for-adds or --don't-look-for-adds is the default); but e.g
    in 'darcs record', there is the three-way switch --edit-long-comment
    vs --skip-long-comment vs --prompt-long-comment; and in yet other
    contexts, I found it slighly hard to figure out from just a
    [DEFAULT] tag which options were related (e.g. which other options
    would override this default).

  - DarcsRepo.lhs: Maybe explain how to configure Emacs to never save
    any temp files in _darcs/current?

Sorry for cramming all of this into a single bug report; I imagine a
couple of these might be easy to fix for someone who knows how, and
the rest might not even be worth having as bugs.

/* era */

files: darcs-patches.out
messages: 1006
nosy: EricKow, droundy, era+darcs, tommy
status: unread
title: Minor documentation fixes

Darcs issue tracker <bugs at darcs.net>
<http://bugs.darcs.net/issue271>