[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: Add Cabal files (not feature complete).

Benedikt Schmidt beschmi at cloaked.de
Mon Apr 9 13:00:20 PDT 2007

"Zachary P. Landau" <kapheine at divineinvasion.net> writes:

>> Why Cabalisation?  I'm not too sure.  It does make it easy to
>>  - express package dependencies (e.g., mtl, parsec, QuickCheck)
>>  - expose a few modules and create a libdarcs
>>      In fact, we might consider having two cabal files: one for libdarcs
>>      and the other for darcs proper; might make the install process a
>>      bit more complicated, however)
>
> It's always nice to have programs using a standard packaging mechanism.
> I think this is a good idea.  It might help package managers for Linux
> distributions, as well (although by now most of the major ones have
> already made a package for darcs).

Another advantage is that there are many haskell tools that rely on the
cabal file for build-info (cabal-test, visual-haskell, shim).
Btw, someone asked about a faster compile-edit cycle a few months ago,
now that we have a cabal-file, the emacs shim-mode [1] typechecks mosts
darcs files in a few seconds. So I would really like this patch to go
into unstable.

Benedikt

[1] http://shim.haskellco.de/