[darcs-devel] Re: darcs patch: Add Cabal files (not feature complete).

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 14:10:54 PDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 13:12:31 -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> Indeed.  I'd prefer this didn't go in (except perhaps as an optional means
> of compilation) until we are confident that cabal is powerful enough for
> our needs (and easy enough that we're able to do what we want).

Yep.  If anybody wants to see this patch in the repo, I heartily welcome
them to work on these issues.

(fwiw, i might be happy with just asking the user to uncomment bits of
cabal to get extra features like git/wxdarcs)

> Hmmmm.  Is cabal smart enough to avoid rebuilding this except when
> necesary? I'd hate to have to add make-like functionality to cabal.

Ack, not as far as I know.  I was thinking that the Context.hs would be
a posthook to the configure routine, i.e. something that only happens
once in the build process.  Rough thought was that we would leave it
dumb in cabal, but then ask the Makefile to be smart about when it does
a runhaskell Setup.lhs configure.

Otherwise, there is an option for Cabal to just call make, but then I'm
not sure what would be the point :-)

Anyway, I'm not sticking this in until we've worked out some more of
these issues.  I probably won't be thinking much harder about
cabalisation, so if anybody else wants to pick up the initiative, you
probably don't have any risk of overlapping my efforts.

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.