[darcs-devel] [issue434] Darcs grief: Issue 274

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Apr 18 07:16:52 PDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 10:21:02PM -0700, Kevin Quick wrote:
> I am a bit concerned that it was a darcs pull that encountered this
> problem for you.  In my case, it was a push from a user that didn't
> have proper access rights to some of the files in my repo (and did on
> others).  I wouldn't have expected this in the pull case, however.
> Are you certain it was a pull, and in either case, have you been
> able to reproduce it?

It's a windows-specific case, which I believe we understand.  You can't
delete an open file on windows, and darcs always modifies files by writing
a new copy and then replacing the old with the new.  But Simon is executing
a script in the working directory that darcs wants to modify, and therefore
it can't, which causes the whole trouble.  It wouldn't happen with POSIX
file system semantics, which is why it hasn't bothered people before.  :(

David