[darcs-devel] [issue434] Darcs grief: Issue 274

quick at sparq.org quick at sparq.org
Wed Apr 18 12:50:13 PDT 2007

Quoting David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 10:21:02PM -0700, Kevin Quick wrote:
> > I am a bit concerned that it was a darcs pull that encountered this
> > problem for you.  In my case, it was a push from a user that didn't
> > have proper access rights to some of the files in my repo (and did on
> > others).  I wouldn't have expected this in the pull case, however.
> > Are you certain it was a pull, and in either case, have you been
> > able to reproduce it?
>
> It's a windows-specific case, which I believe we understand.  You can't
> delete an open file on windows, and darcs always modifies files by writing
> a new copy and then replacing the old with the new.  But Simon is executing
> a script in the working directory that darcs wants to modify, and therefore
> it can't, which causes the whole trouble.  It wouldn't happen with POSIX
> file system semantics, which is why it hasn't bothered people before.  :(

Ah, OK.  Different root problem, but same results though: the patches are
not applied but the working directory is modified.

I'm thinking there are two elements here:
  1) Fix (if appropriate/possible) the root cause of both issues (Simon's
     above and mine with the pusher privilege problems).
  2) In the event that any pull/push/apply fails due to this type of
     unexpected issue, it should return the entire current tree to its
     original form (as much as possible).  This might be done by doing
     all modifications on a copy and then swapping in that copy (expensive
     spacewise) or reverting all operations (similar to applying the
     inverse patch to the working tree, but not entirely).

-KQ