[darcs-devel] [issue434] Darcs grief: Issue 274

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Apr 19 10:08:45 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:56:57AM -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
> I'm curious to learn how difficult it would be to implement
> transactional semantics to Darcs?  This would prevent any kind of
> corruption in the event of any kind of error at all.

Pretty easy (almost) with the new hashed inventory format.  We don't want
truly atomic behavior on the pristine cache, as that'd slow darcs down too
much (and I don't see any way of avoiding this slowdown, short of
implementing our own journalling filesystem, which would definitely be a
nice option, but not so easy).
Department of Physics
Oregon State University