[darcs-devel] darcs patch: Add tests specifically for applying patc... (and 1 more)

Eric Kow eric.kow at loria.fr
Thu Apr 19 13:09:43 PDT 2007

Hi Tommy,

This is the result of our rather long discussion on
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue434

David and all: I'm sorry, but I think I'm too tired to implement this
properly.  I believe that this patch is the bare minimum to deal with
issue434, perhaps not gracefully, but better than the present situation.
Note that it breaks quiet mode and does not do any of the fancy stuff I
was hoping for.

Hopefully somebody else is willing to step up and polish this off.

Thu Apr 19 22:00:48 CEST 2007  Eric Kow <eric.kow at loria.fr>
  * Add tests specifically for applying patches to the working dir (issue434).

Thu Apr 19 22:05:58 CEST 2007  Eric Kow <eric.kow at loria.fr>
  * Apply patches 'tolerantly' to the working directory (issue434).

  If there are any exceptions applying a patch to the working directory, catch
  the exceptions, emit a pretty warning and move on.  This is meant to ease
  the scenario where the user is pulling in a large patch, but there is a
  permissions error (or something similar) in the working directory.

  Without this patch, darcs typically dies and leaves the working directory in
  a 'corrupted' state.  The corruption is relatively minor in that patches and
  pristine are perfectly fine.  The problem is that the user has large portions
  of the patch still upapplied and when he does a darcs whatsnew, gets a mass
  of seemingly incomprehensible goop (the inverse of the unapplied changes)
  mixed in with his changes.  We reduce the incomprehensible goop effect by
  catching exceptions so that darcs can continue to apply as much of the patch
  as it can.