[darcs-devel] darcs robot command

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Aug 2 15:48:37 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 03:07:34PM -0700, Ben Coburn wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2007, at 09:56, David Roundy wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 03:35:50AM -0700, Ben Coburn wrote:
> >>Some thinking out loud regarding command aliasing and driving darcs
> >>with external code....
> >>
> >>Instead of "tacking on" XML output to more commands, maybe it would be
> >>better to have a command for driving darcs with bi-directional XML
> >>messages.
> >
> >One question would be whether this is actually preferable to a libdarcs.
> >It's almost certainly more effort, probably harder to get right, and
> >possibly less powerful and harder to use.
>
> If libdarcs is on it's way, by all means focus effort there instead.
>
> I suggested this because I don't know when a better solution like
> libdarcs might be available, and because I was just writing code to
> parse the interactive record prompt... very ugly (and brittle) but
> possible.

No, libdarcs isn't not the way, noone wants to write it.  But in my opinion
libdarcs would be easier to write and use than your proposal (once your
proposal is extended to treat with problems more general than precisely
what you're asking for today).  So I'd encourage any developer volunteering
to create an interface for external programs do so via a library rather
than an XML protocol.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University