[darcs-devel] Re: Example Conflicts

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 03:08:07 PDT 2007

David Roundy wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:58:29AM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:

>> And the "cancel A" patch doesn't have any sort of reference to B in it?
>
> Right.

I seem to remember there was a problem with this approach.  Perhaps not a
technical problem, but a conceptual one.

Something like this:

Suppose patches A and B conflict, and David and Ian both have repositories
containing A and B.

Ian resolves in favour of A, records cancel(B).
David resolves in favour of B, records cancel(A).

Ian pulls from David, and now has both cancel(A) and cancel(B).  At this
point we expect a conflict, because both David and Ian have resolved the
original conflict in different ways; but cancel(A) and cancel(B) commute.
Don't they?

Cheers,
	Simon