[darcs-devel] darcs patch: remove commute_nameconflict (rarely invoked and ugly)

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 05:10:18 UTC 2007

> We used to have a special treatment for conflicts in which one
> patch creates a file while another patch renames a file to have
> the same name.  It's a rare case, and I think we probably want
> to just fix it right now as a cleanup.

I'm not sure I would count on the rarity of events.  For that matter, I
have seen cases of this in the wild.  What happens without the code?
Does it blow up, or just do something less useful?

> An option to alleviate the danger would be to write a function in
> darcs check that checks if any such "nameconflict" patches exist.

Presumably, that would not help with the case where you pull such a
patch in, and say, it conflicts with your unsaved changes?

Maybe hiding this code in an #ifdef (i.e. keep it for the old patch
theory) would be a better option that getting rid of it?

I haven't really looked at the code yet.

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.