[darcs-devel] filler patches and future dependencies

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Tue Aug 14 20:27:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 09:19:59PM +0200, Eric Y. Kow wrote:
> The solution I propose is to introduce a notion of 'future dependency',
> so that it is not the original patch which depends on the filler, but
> the filler which future-depends on the original patch.  If a patch p1
> future-depends on patch p2, it behaves as if p2 depends on p1: you must
> pull patch p1 in order to pull p2 and you cannot obliterate [p1] without
> first obliterating [p2].

I have from time to time wanted something similar to a 'future
dependency'. If I record a trivial fix for some typo in an old
patch, I want a way to make darcs "highly recommend" this new
fix patch whenever I try to pull the old mistyped one. A
'retroactive future dependency'.

Ouch, this is becoming "back to the future" complicated.