[darcs-devel] darcs patch: backport David's optimize --reorder bugf... (and 1 more)

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Sun Aug 26 22:37:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 06:56:02PM +0200, Eric Y. Kow wrote:
> I hope I'm not holding you up.  I'm going to hang on to this until you
> tell me we don't really have any other choice.  If you tell me that I
> should go ahead and apply this, I will asap.

It is not holding me up in any way. I want to find a better
solution, but so far I've been out of time.

> Otherwise, one option might be to introduce some temporary version of
> the code, say, prefixed with the name issue494 and appended to the end
> of the relevant files where they are not likely to cause conflicts. I
> can then apply these patches, resolve the less hairy conflicts and then
> delete the functions.  Do you think that might work, or would it just
> make things really bad for stable?

This is a good idea. I will try it out when I get the time. I
think it might be possible to just rename the original function
to hide it, and then insert a changed copy of it somewhere where
it won't conflict.

> Also, I haven't yet done the research into your questions.  I think
> there might be some threads of the mailing list where I asked questions
> about the functions like sort_coalesce, etc if it helps.

Well, I mostly asked in hope someone would know the answer off
hand. I'll do a more thorough backport when I get the time. This
first version was only to sort of raise the issue, hunt for
ideas, and notify people, since it will probably cause some
disturbance one way or another.