[darcs-devel] Building darcs 1.0.9 on PPC with ghc 6.8.1

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at hinegardner.org
Sat Dec 1 21:33:03 UTC 2007

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 10:40:01AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 01:53:39PM -0700, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I help maintain the darcs RPM for Fedora and we seem to have encountered
> > a interesting bug.  I'm not sure if it is in the darcs build process or
> > part of GHC.
> >
> > In the development branch of Fedora the ghc version is currently 6.8.1
> > and stock darcs 1.0.9 does not build with ghc 6.8.1.  I have applied the
> > unstable patches from http://bugs.darcs.net/issue544 to address this and
> > darcs builds just fine and all tests succeed on i386.
> >
> > But when we look at the PPC build, it builds fine but the tests start
> > failing.  You can see the full build log here:
> >
> >     http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=266871&name=build.log
> >
> > I do not know if this is a failure on my part, or a darcs bug or a GHC
> > issue or if it is something else.  I could use a bit of advice, and I'll
> > be happy to put this in the bug tracker if it is a darcs issue.
>
> Could you try running make test_shell? I find the shell-script tests more
> helpful for tracking down problems.  Thanks for the report! (And hopefully
> soon we'll get a ghc 6.8-support stable release out...)

test_shell does not seem to be valid make target in stock 1.0.9, there's
'unit'.  Trackdown suggests that the test_shell target was added around
Oct 3 and seems to have about 199 patch dependencies, so that's not an
easy option to apply to stock 1.0.9 to rule things out.  I put in a
test_unit instead and its results can be seen here

    curl http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=268980&name=build.log

If anyone has a patch to 1.0.9 to apply the test_shell target and the
associated tests without affecting the 1.0.9 code I'll be happy to give
it a try.  My darcs skills aren't up to correctly cherry picking the
required changesets.

I don't have direct access to a PPC machine right now to investigate
this directly, I can just submit the build requests to the fedora build
system.

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy at hinegardner.org