[darcs-devel] Any answers for IsiSetup's concerns?

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Wed Dec 12 18:09:55 UTC 2007

"David Roundy" <daveroundy at gmail.com> writes:

> I guess your main question is about whether darcs will support
> management of permissions and symlinks?

Er, not really.  At least not mainly.  I didn't express it well, but I
wondered what the Darcs developers' current reaction could be for the
IsiSetup people.  You almost covered it, let's see:

I'm somewhat aware of the issues surrounding permissions, and as zooko
mentined, other tools don't fully support this either.  But Darcs is
still somewhat behind in this field.

> I understand that some people use darcs for strange things, but I
> refuse to make darcs *worse* for its primary purpose of managing
> source code, just so it is better for doing strange things like
> managing /etc files.  Now darcs should *preserve* permissions, and
> it'd be a good idea for it (when possible) to preserve ownership.

That's fair and I'm fine with it.  As I understand it, Metastore is
here to help out, all we need is good interoperation.  Maybe that's
already here, too.

> Symlinks would be reasonable, but noone has bothered to implement
> them. [...]  If noone is interested in adding this feature, I can
> only conclude that not all that many people are interested in having
> this feature.

Sure, symlinks aren't necessary either for source code management.
And good to hear it would be easy to add.

Now what's this bussiness about "merge capabilities"?  Do you know
what's missing, how's git or anything else better?
--
Thanks,
Feri.