[darcs-devel] Any answers for IsiSetup's concerns?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Dec 13 18:53:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 12:14:15PM -0500, David Roundy wrote:

> I don't think so, I think that having darcs manage permissions would
> be like having it manage file ownership.  We could do that, but file
> ownership is meaningless on most other computers.  Similarly the
> meaning of "g" and "o" are different on each computer, since the group
> is different, and the set of users with access to the computer are
> different.

I think we can do this with a layer of indirection. For example,
"darcs init/get/put" could make a file _darcs/prefs/permissions which
for me (on Linux with uid=ian, gid=ian) contains something like
    default ian ian 0600
    executable ian ian 0700
On Windows it would probably look different, and perhaps we could also
support Linux  ACLs, SE Linux, etc. You'd be able to do something like
    darcs addpermissiongroup executable anotherExecutableGroup
to make a new line in _darcs/prefs/permissions that would initially be
a copy of executable (you couldn't just alter it by hand, as then other
repos wouldn't know which one to copy (unless they defaulted to copying
default)).

You could then "darcs setpermissions executable myScript; darcs rec".
The permission group for a file would have to be stored under _darcs
somwehere. "darcs rec" could either warn if you change the permissions
with chmod, and it could even try to guess which group you wanted it in.

Has anyone looked at what other RCSs, BTW?

Thanks
Ian