[darcs-devel] announcing darcs 2.0.0pre1, the first prerelease for darcs 2

Alexander Staubo alex at purefiction.net
Sun Dec 16 00:12:21 UTC 2007

On 12/14/07, David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:
> You don't need to call optimize on the repository that is used to create
> the tag, and you shouldn't need to do so very often.

Ah, I thought perhaps you needed to do this in order to reduce the
search space on both sides of the exchange.

> > In my experience, Darcs pulls/pushes speed up dramatically if you
> > optimize, but performance starts to trail once you start adding
> > patches, and quickly becomes painfully slow. Eric Kow's advice is to
> > optimize every 30 or so patches, which seems to match my experience.
>
> With hashed repositories, this shouldn't be a big issue for pushes and
> pulls, at least if you're dominated by network IO costs (which is often the
> case), because patches that you've already seen won't need to be downloaded
> again.

Not sure what you are saying here -- are you saying that the
incredible, wonderful performance improvement we are seeing after each
optimize is not a big issue? We are suffering the weird OpenSSH bug on
the Mac that prevents us from using SSH connection sharing, so we're
definitely network-I/O-dominated.

Alexander.