[darcs-devel] Making a hashed repository offline safe

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sun Dec 16 17:51:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 05:02:32PM -0800, Ben Coburn wrote:
> I have a bit of a question / suggestion about the hashed repository
> format....
>
> Is there an option to force darcs to download everything, thus making
> a repository safe for offline use?

darcs changes offline-safe

will do this.  (Or for that matter, `darcs changes Easter Bunny`, or
`darcs changes -s`.)

> I would suggest that an option like "--offline-safe" could be added
> to "pull" and "get" operations to force them to *not* be lazy about
> retrieving data. It should also be possible to take a repository in
> an unknown state of offline safeness and make it safe, so that one
> will not shoot one's self in the foot later when using it offline. I
> think "darcs optimize --offline-safe" would be an appropriate command
> for this action.

Pull is never lazy about retrieving data, so any single command that
requires that darcs examine all the patches in the repository will make
that repository permanently unlazy (unless perhaps the --ephemeral option
is used).  Although, of course, you could always make it lazy again by
using rm _darcs/patches/*.  Or extra-lazy by also doing rm
_darcs/pristine.hashed/*.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University