[darcs-devel] announcing darcs 2.0.0pre1, the first prerelease for darcs 2

Alexander Staubo alex at purefiction.net
Sun Dec 16 21:45:37 UTC 2007

On 12/16/07, David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:
> You aren't using hashed repositories, are you? You won't see that
> incredible, wonderful performance improvement from optimize, because you'll
> already get it when you switch to hashed repositories, since then you won't
> need to download any patches that have been downloaded on a previous darcs
> pull or push.  It'll be even better if you enable a cache, but just using
> the hashed format in your situation will solve the problem.

I see. Yes, I was referring to Darcs 1, but I see now that the
situation has changed in Darcs 2. All for the better.

I'm a bit confused about the new repository formats. There's the new
hashed format, and also the "darcs-2 format"; but I don't see an
explanation anywhere as to why Darcs 2 needs two new formats or why
users should not simply go ahead use the "darcs-2" format.

I can only speculate that the "darcs-2" format is experimental and not
ready for real-world use, and that the hashed format is a stop-gap
solution towards the improved format, but you don't actually say this
anywhere that I can see.

Alexander.