[darcs-devel] http pipelining

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:42:09 UTC 2007

On 12/17/07, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> I would suggest doing proper HTTP pipelining rather than doing parallel
> downloads. HTTP pipelining will always be faster, it is a well supported
> standard and many http servers respond most unfavourably to parallel
> downloads even to the point of considering it abusive and responding in
> kind.

Yeah, that was my question. Looks like it's answered :-)

> How about adding proper pipelining to the HTTP package instead?

I would be happy to give this a go, but I have a few other priorities
and I would be learning as I went along (since I haven't exactly
written a lot of networking code). So if someone who's already more
familiar with this area and thus could probably finish the code in a
more timely fashion wanted to take on that task, they should, but if
not, I'll try to get to it. This is something that bites me pretty
frequently (in the "jeez, it sure takes a long time to pull GHC
patches" sort of way), as I'm sure it bites other people too, so I
have at the motivation to make it work better, if nothing else :-)

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * catamorphism.org * Often in error, never in doubt
"Religion is just a fancy word for the Stockholm Syndrome."  -- lj