[darcs-devel] announcing darcs 2.0.0pre1, the first prerelease for darcs 2

Peter Lund firefly at vax64.dk
Tue Dec 18 05:11:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 10:18 -0500, David Roundy wrote:

> Any suggestions how to go about doing this? I quick look suggests that
> libcurl can't handle http pipelining, and that no haskell HTTP library does
> so.  The only library I can find that does seem to support it is libwww,
> which looks like a real pain to use.

It is.  And the documentation is not nearly as good as it may look like
at first glance.

How do I know?

Because I actually tried to make it work with darcs precisely so it
could get pipelining and support for HTTP caching (with ETags).

It's been some years since then.  If I wanted to give it another try I
would probably look at neon, which (at a quick glance) doesn't quite
seem to support pipelining either, but which seems to be actively
maintained and have documentation that can actually be understood.

http://www.webdav.org/neon/

Neon is GPL and is used as the basis for HTTP support in gnome-vfs and
Nautilus, the file manager in Gnome. It supports WebDAV, TLS, cookies,
connection keep-alive, and transfer compression.  I think it only needs
its arms twisted a little bit to also support pipelining.

-Peter