[darcs-devel] faster darcs whatsnew

David Roundy daveroundy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:36:30 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 4:58 AM, Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, this worries me a bit.  I typically have many GHC trees, and I
> anticipate using a cache with darcs 2, so will this mean that whatsnew will
>   sometimes miss changes?  Or will it just be slower?

Well, using the file-modification-times optimization always means that
whatsnew will sometimes miss changes, since it's always possible that
the pristine cache will have the same timestamp as the working
directory file, but this is unlikely (and no more likely when
interacting with multiple repositories, it's actually in a single
repository that you're more likely to modify a file in the working
directory within a second of when a darcs record is performed).  The
main issue would be that it'd be slower.  This shouldn't be a big
issue, since whichever darcs repository you last recorded in (or
pulled into, etc) will have a fast whatsnew.

One other possibility would be that we could disable global caching of
the pristine cache (bad confusion of the term "cache" here).

David