[darcs-devel] announcing darcs 2.0.0pre1, the first prerelease for darcs 2

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 15:51:17 UTC 2007

2007/12/19, David Roundy <daveroundy at gmail.com>:
> On Dec 19, 2007 9:53 AM, Dmitry Kurochkin <dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have created a Libwww.hs module and hslibwww.c. Libwww.hs provides
> > getUrl and getUrls functions. I have changed copyRemotesNormal to use
> > getUrls. And it is ready for testing. But I get compilation errors on
> > hslibwww.c.
> > It is compiled with GHC, not GCC. If I run GCC by hand it works fine. Errors
> > say that there are redefined symbols in libwww header files, like:
> >
> > In file included from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/WWWLib.h:50,
> >
> >                  from src/hslibwww.c:5:0:
> >
> > /usr/include/w3c-libwww/wwwsys.h:1099:1:
> >      warning: "strchr" redefined
> >
> > Any ideas? Why is GHC used for C sources?
>
> I think ghc is used for C sources just to keep the build/configure
> process simple.  ghc knows how to compile C files, and this way we
> only need to identify one compiler... although the configure script
> does actually identify a C compiler also.
>
> Hmmm.  I'm not sure this should be an error, it says it's only a warning...
Copied too fast. Here is what I get:

% ghc -c hslibwww.c `libwww-config --cflags`
In file included from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/WWWLib.h:50,

                 from hslibwww.c:5:0:

/usr/include/w3c-libwww/wwwsys.h:1324:0:
     error: conflicting types for 'sys_errlist'

/usr/include/bits/sys_errlist.h:28:0:
     error: previous declaration of 'sys_errlist' was here
In file included from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/HTNet.h:61,
                 from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/HTReq.h:75,
                 from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/WWWCore.h:73,
                 from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/WWWLib.h:75,

                 from hslibwww.c:5:0:

/usr/include/w3c-libwww/HTDNS.h:75:0:
     warning: 'struct hostent' declared inside parameter list

/usr/include/w3c-libwww/HTDNS.h:75:0:
     warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which
is probably not what you want
In file included from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/HTInet.h:30,
                 from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/WWWCore.h:339,
                 from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/WWWLib.h:75,

                 from hslibwww.c:5:0:

/usr/include/w3c-libwww/HTHstMan.h:94:0:
     error: field 'sock_addr' has incomplete type
In file included from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/WWWFile.h:77,
                 from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/HTInit.h:66,
                 from /usr/include/w3c-libwww/WWWInit.h:51,

                 from hslibwww.c:6:0:

/usr/include/w3c-libwww/HTMulti.h:62:0:
     warning: 'struct stat' declared inside parameter list

If I change ghc to gcc it compiles fine without a warning.
I will try using C compiler for C source files instead of ghc.

Regards,
  Dmitry